TIM model structure of the psyche
A majority of mankind's problems arises mainly due to two reasons:
- because we can't make a responsible decision too long
- because we easily make hasty decisions
Taking into account parametric dimensions of the psyche functions, systemic structure of the psyche in conditionally normal life period of a person must look like the one shown in figure 6.
The model’s structural elements – psyche functions – are virtual processors (information processing machines). Each of them has its own “operational system” (by analogy with computer) determined by the purpose (role) of the psyche function in the systemic TIM model structure and the combination of information processing parameters (Ex, Nr, St and Tm). Also each of these processors has «an application work program» determined by the information element being processed by this function. Different purposes of structural elements, i.e. their places in the model structure result in the differentiation of “operational system” of the virtual processor that models the psyche function.
Figure 6. Systemic structure of the psyche
How does such systemic psyche structure function in real conditions?
- Usual and well known daily tasks of providing personal life activity (super block of personal life, vital track), a person takes decisions as if automatically – under normal conditions decisions are taken «in silence», imperceptibly (control block 1, super id – functions 5 and 6), while execution is «automatic», unconscious at the moment of execution, sometimes as if impulsive (executive block 1, id – functions 7 and 8). Informational content of psyche functions in this case serves as the foundation, which helps to solve real, individually significant tasks similar to those that have been solved earlier. The totality of individual work program (function 7) and tools (function 8) in the TIM model (executive block 1, id, personal life activity super block, vital track) reflects the ideology of individuality. The fact of ideology of individuality existence in real life is often underrated and we deprive a partner of the right to live and act in his own way, thus divesting him of the possibility to reveal his unique individuality. This is particularly harmful for psyche in early age.
- When a task or a problem is new and extending beyond the frame of individuality of a person («not mine», «I cannot», «no work program», «no tools» in any combination), this task according to the relation of functions (Fig.6) is transferred to the super block of social life activity, mental track. In this case, the process of taking decision, i.e. the analysis of how similar tasks had been solved by other people (function 3, social norms) and how social (personal) experience (function 4) can help in this new matter is also not always perceivable (though, for example, trying to refuse from solving a new task or by verifying social norms and his own social experience a person sometimes goes into considerations using this block). At the same time intellectual creative activity – the functioning of executive block 2 can be noticed as a rule: in the search of solution a person can speak aloud (he can be even asked to do so in the process of identification – in this case the work of «intellect» is well-noticed (function 1), and the realization of the solution found («the creation» of the result – function 2) often has a verbal character and is revealed evidently in communications. Thus, principles significant for a person and presenting value for thinking and the criteria of creative activity of this specific personality are often evident. Such system of thinking and creative principles is called the ideology of personality and it is presented in the TIM model structure by executive block 2 (ego). When necessary in critically important moment the ideology can be presented by a person verbally in the form of views and opinions, principles, credo well-thought out and verified by life. This is known quite well…
However, it does not always happen so in real life – normal functioning of the psyche can be upset (and unfortunately is often broken!) due to one or another distortion in the interaction with the surrounding world. Major distortions in the interaction between psyche and the world are reflected in the psyche TIM model as follows:
- If no information of the corresponding information element has arrived to function 5 (individual experience, suggestive) of control block 1 (super id) during a long time, a person sooner or later develops a sense of absence of demand, uselessness, futility, uncertainty of his place in society. He feels unhappy and he can even develop neurosis when he has nothing to do and when he has no plan to realize… Such absence of «business» often hides the reason of neurotic complaints of senselessness of life (P. Fraisse, J. Piaget) . Certainly, it does not always result in neurosis but a person shall be sure to express anxiety with his exclusion from the interaction with the surrounding world, for example, by the same complaints of senselessness of life. In addition, in this case one more unpleasant process arises – the delay of filling psyche functions with information of the corresponding information element, which may lead in further life to the distortions of psyche TIM characteristic of this function, which are difficult to eliminate.
- The sensitivity of the block for taking decisions (control block 1, super id) to the interaction with the surrounding world is revealed also in the dependence of a person on the evaluation of his skills by the society (individual norms, function 6, referent). The fact is that the theory of systems implies the imperative, which, being used for a person, allows to state: a person cannot assess his skills independently! This does not seem so at first glance… However, practice supports – having taken a decision or having done something a person needs the evaluation of his skills corresponding to the information element of the function 6… And a person expresses such need in this or that form, sometimes directly asking for the assessment… In the method of the TIM identification by the way of interview, it is even recommended to ask the question: «For what can you be praised? » - In the majority of cases, the person shall answer according to the information element of function 6 of his psyche TIM model, which ensures the possibility of verification the psyche TIM model by this function. Difficulties of informational interaction with the world and as the result - the emptiness of function 6 may lead to consequences during further life – characteristic distortion of psyche TIM that reveals itself in uncertainty of his individual skills, possibilities, capabilities within the frames of information element of function 6 (individual norms) with all the ensuing consequences.
- The problems of executive block 1 (id) according to the connections in the model structure (Fig.6) can be solved with the aid of executive block 2 (ego). Thus, if there is no «work program» (function 7) – it must be «invented» (function 1), if there is no «work tools» (function 8) - it must be «created» (function 2). However the functioning of ego block can be blocked by external prohibitions. Thus, in totalitarian conditions of limiting personal freedom (by the state, group or family) a person’s qualities are usually ignored (often aggressively), his ideological principles are not demanded (reaction 2 – see Fig.6). This results in the fact that in social interactions a person is often forced to react based on his social experience (function 4), proceeding common social norms (function 3). This is how a variant of TIM distortion is formed, which is usually called «distortion of super ego type». Verbal and behavioural reactions of a person in such cases usually have normative-uncertain character (function 3 ⇒ function 4), which essentially lowers the effectiveness of social interaction of a personality.
- One of the peculiarities of the systemic psyche structure proceeding from the principle of control is the correspondence of psyche functions dimensions in blocks and super blocks. Thus, the functions of lower dimension are located in control block; the functions of higher dimension are located in executive block. Control in the blocks of individual life activity super block (vital track) is transferred from functions of lower dimension to function of higher dimension (in model – 5⇒ 6, 7 ⇒ 8), while in the blocks of social life activity super block (mental track) – from the function of higher dimension to the function of lower dimension (in model – 1⇒ 2, 3 ⇒ 4). This is why functions 1, 3, 5 and 7 are called initial, and functions 2, 4, 6 and 8 are called resulting (executive). The above-mentioned generally agrees with the conclusions of the theory of systems . In the process of identification, the detection of the correspondence of psyche functions dimensions allows significantly increasing the effectiveness of verification of the psyche TIM model being investigated.
The above-mentioned correspondence of psyche dimensions, particularly executive blocks, is not occasional. Thus, the automatic character of executive block 1 (id) functioning oriented to customary well-known conditions demands the presence of a set of individual «technological» programs determined by the experience (Ex), situations (St) and norms (Nr) but invariant to the parameter of time (function 7 is independent of the parameter of time), so that they can be used at any given moment of time (function 8 has the parameter of time). In contrast to the mentioned above, the ego block is in a certain sense a creative block – to think over, search for «technological» program (function 1 having the parameter of time) is possible at any time – «yesterday» («in the style of a certain century»), «today» (real time) or «tomorrow» (futuristic approach) but «to create the plan» is possible only by fixation of a point on the scale of the parameter of time (function 2 is independent of the parameter of time).
Systemic structure of super blocks, blocks and functions of the conditionally complete psyche model from theoretical point of view must be similar to the corresponding elements of the above-mentioned normalized model. In any case, the existing preliminary data allow stating so.
However, the psyche structure is only the foundation for building the model that adequately reflects characteristics and functioning (behavior) of personality in the society (surrounding world). To ensure the model working it is necessary to provide its elements – virtual processors with application programs similar to computers for the processing of information flow from the interaction between psyche and the real world. Application programs are determined as information element structure of the informational component of interaction between a person and the world, i.e. how the person sees (perceives) and reacts to the actions in the process of interaction with the world.
- Fraisse P., Piaget J. Experimental psychology. M., Progress, 1975 (in Russian)
- Mesarovich M. D. Foundation of the general systems theory// general systems theory. M.: Mir, 1978 (in Russian)
 The following interpretation of the term block ideology is accepted in modelling the structure and functioning mechanism of the psyche – the system of principles and criteria of the block functioning, which is defined by the parametric structure of psyche functions together with the information element structure of working programs of the corresponding psyche functions of the block. In the models of psyche TIM and societal psyche ITIM:
- the ideology of a man as Personality is reflected by executive block 2 of social life super block – mental track; the ideology of a man as Individuality is reflected by executive block 1 of personal life super block – vital track (TIM model);
- the ideology of non-occasional group is reflected by executive block 2 of super bloc mental track of the integral type of information metabolism (ITIM); the ideology of peoples is reflected by executive block 1 of the super bloc of personal life – vital track (ITIM model).
 Thus, analyzing the reaction of the person being identified it is easy to notice that the resulting psyche function in the bloc when processing its information element is at the same time as if “colored” by the information element of the initial function (the term suggested by G.I. Sheremetova). This is particularly visualized on one-dimensional 4th psyche function often “colored” by the information element of the 3rd function.